Thursday, January 28, 2010

Salt is my enemy!!!!

I was working on the computer, drinking a glass of V8, and I thought to myself, "I wonder if V8 juice is really good for me? Let me Google it." The results were not good. 80% of V8 juice is tomato juice with some pureed veggies I could handle that. I reached for my handy, dandy 20/30 book to check the food in the back. In the back of this book there is a list of foods I am allowed to eat, cut back on, and avoid. V8 juice had a bomb. Bomb = avoid. So sad. I bought a few containers of V8 juice thinking that this was going to be the new drink of choice; instead I made a stew with it last night. I need to concentrate on my salt intake. I feel bloated and I feel like I am retaining water.


Last night I made a stew. This stew consisted of black beans, kidney beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes, portabella mushrooms, corn, and V8 juice. I seasoned my stew with cumin, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. I tasted my stew and something was missing. I could not put my finger on it I was missing something. I opened the fridge and I saw a half of a bag of sauerkraut. Mmmmmmmm...I love sauerkraut, but in my stew....I don't know. So, I put a little bit on a spoon with the stew and yummmmmm...my stew tasted like cabbage soup. I love cabbage soup. So, I was eating a big bowl of my "steoup" (Rachel Ray term of stew and soup together) while watching "The Young and the Restless" and then it hit me...sauerkraut is so good.... sauerkraut is cabbage...that has been fermented...mmmm...sauerkraut..."SALT!!!!!!!" Oh crud!!!! Salt again...and a lot of it. So, this is my last pot of salt that I am going to eat. Pictures are still to come of the steoup.

For lunch today, I went to Wendy's because I was craving a baked potato. So, I ordered a broccoli and cheese potato and a grilled chicken sandwich. What a great lunch. I treated myself to a special treat.... food prepared for me!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment