Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Emotional eating......another excuse or comfort?

Life is full of challenges. Challenge can range from family issues, financial issues, work issues, or food issues. Throughout most of my adult life, I have been an emotional eater. The only time that the emotional eater comes out in me is when I am stressed or sad. There is comfort in eating a donut or a Little Debbie treat. When a stressful situation arises, sugar seems to make me feel better, for the moment. Last night I was dealt a hand full of stress. Questions started to swim in my head. I began to think and re-think the situations that have presented themselves. After I picked up my son from daycare, I began my journey home. The journey was full of doubt, dismay, panic, and planning the evening’s dinner. As I am driving and listening to Scott, my son, tell me about his day, I feel overwhelming guilt that I let situations steal time away from Scott. So, I blocked out the stress and focused on listening to a 3 year old tell me that he wants a keyboard from the Disney Channel (Disney Store for those who do not speak 3 year old lingo). So, we got home and there is was...a bag full of sweetness. A bag on mini powered donuts were looking at me and calling my name. I had the angel and devil in my shoulder. "Eat it....just eat one....you did great all day....you deserve it after the stress that you encountered" versus "Adrienne, you know better. Please do not do it. You will feel terrible after you eat them.....NO!!!!! Don't!!!!!" Well, I am sorry to say that the devil won, sort of. I pulled out 5 donuts and poured a glass of milk. I ate 2 and stopped. I believe that the shock of the sugar snapped me out of what I was doing. I did not continue to eat or drink the milk. I cannot let situations control me; I have to control the situation. Lesson learned.



I woke up this morning feeling great. I felt like I could conquer the world. Today is a new day. So, my route began, like usual. Dropping off Scott at daycare and stopping at Martin's for something for lunch. Since I had breakfast at work, all I had to worry about was lunch. Again, another frugal trip to the store and all the food that I bought was natural and organic. To keep up with my goals for this blog, I am making a new dish tonight for dinner. The recipe comes out of Jillian Michaels book, "Master Your Metabolism". The recipe is Chipotle Beef. This recipe is a salad recipe that calls for chuck roast and chipotle peppers in adobe sauce and low sodium beef broth. I am totally excited by this recipe. While I wait for the meat to cook in the oven, I will exercise.

For breakfast, I ate the same thing as I ate yesterday. 1/2 grapefruit and 2 Kashi waffles. For lunch I ate Amy's Mexican Tamale Pie and Amy's Vegetable Barley Soup.





Lunch was delicious and filling. My afternoon snack will consist of an apple and Greek yogurt. Overall, I am feeling good about this journey that I am on.



I will post pictures and recipe of Chipotle Beef later on this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment